Monday 26 January 2015

Urban Love Mixed Media

Hi again,
I created a grungy mixed media piece that has (I think) a real urban vibe to it. The one thing I learned from doing mixed media art, is that it truly goes through an ugly stage. Just keep building the textures and layers first. I have taken pictures during the process to show you what was involved. 

I started with 12x12 chipboard, texture paste, glue and a great stencil from Donna Downey. I covered the board in random areas with the stencil and then embossed cardstock. I then adhered that to preplanned areas on the base. I added some heavy gel patterns with a texture tool (you can see it on the top there)
next, I base coated the chipboard with black gesso (starting to look a little better)
I started gluing flowers and different textured pieces to the base, the LOVE is just there for placement. it is not stuck down yet.
It's back to "not so pretty" again.
here we go with the fun part... I coated the entire piece with grey gesso (just black and white mixed together)
Now we have a nice coherant monochromatic piece
next I started adding washes of Primary Elements in Garnet and Black Orchid slowly building up the color
after that was done, I felt it needed a hit of gold to highlight some areas

finally, I added the brick word LOVE over top of the background. This was created in my Silhouette studio software and cut to fit the 12x12 board. I offset the design and cut it again with wood grain paper.
The final step was making the word "Urban" to hang off the middle grouping (it also adds another layer to the piece) and some heart clusters
I love the shimmer that the Primary Elements give you. The photos don't do it justice.
Thanks for taking a look at my project. I hope you picked up a few tips as well.  See you soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment