Tuesday, 16 June 2015

A Happy Accident

I screwed up. I screwed up, but I made it work. Mainly because I am cheap and I didn't want to waste the clear transparency sheet that didn't cut all the way through on my Silhouette Machine. When life gives you lemons and all that...carry on creating.
I began by cursing at the Silhouette Machine. Then I cut the acetate down into card sized squares. I had wanted them to be stencils, but that didn't work out. So I pulled out my alcohol inks and started blending colours on the back side.
I rubbed potting soil archival ink over the cut lines and wiped off the excess then added gold and silver inks to the front edges to mimic mercury glass.
The "frame" is just woodgrain paper cut and mitred to hide the edges and the foam tape.
I cut the same designs with paper, tinted them a bit and mounted them on the acetate. A little bling and a simple sentiment completed the card.
So, you see, it was a happy accident after all. I am quite happy with the outcome. See you next time...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laurie, these are just gorgeous!! Those backgrounds are completely dreamy! This is such a genius way to use something that might otherwise have went in the garbage!! Very clever and actually something I might do on purpose to get that amazing look! Love love love!! :)